A tasting rich in history!

April 26th, 2019 

6 Bar California Methode Champenoise Brut

Education:  Methode Champenoise, also known as Methode Traditionelle, is the conventional method used in the Champagne region of France to produce sparkling wine. It’s a labor-intensive process whereby wine undergoes a secondary fermentation inside the bottle, creating bubbles. “Brut” is a term applied to the driest sparkling wines. Brut wines contain less residual sugar than those labeled dry or extra dry. Extra Brut denotes a wine that’s extremely dry, sometimes totally dry, and may called Brut Nature or Brut Integral.

This wine:  6 Bar refers to the amount of pressure the cork is under, which means that it can fly out at speeds up to 60mph! 

Varietals:Traditional Champagne varietals.(Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier)

Profile:  Bright aromas of bread dough and white fruit, smooth mousse-like flavors, and a tingling finish.

Regular $16.99 Cooper’s Price $12.99 

Chateau de la Font du Loup Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc 2017

Education:  What is Chateauneuf-du-Pape? It is one of the most renowned appellations of the southern part in the Rhône Valley. The name literally translates to “new castle of the Pope”, which originates when the Pope moved to Avignon in 1309. The move was due to issues between the King of France and the Papacy. 8 different Popes served in Avignon, and the Papacy remained in Chateauneuf du Pape until 1378.

The wine:  The vineyards are nearly pure sand, and at one of the highest altitudes (cooler climate) within the region, which lends itself to a wine of high spirit and elegance.

Varietals:  Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette and Bourboulenc. 

Profile:  Aromas of toasted almonds and brown butter, hints of yellow flowers and forest floor. The texture is intriguingly viscous, yet structured, with great weight. This wine will benefit from a little decanting or just let it open up in your glass. 

Cooper’s Price $49.99

Orchard Lane New Zealand Pinot Noir

Education:  In past centuries the Māori people hunted Moa (large flightless birds) here and cultivated vast Kumara crops in the year round sunshine. Early European settlers established New Zealand’s pastoral industry on the fertile rolling hills of the river valleys. In 1873, long before the modern day vintners recognized the extraordinary potential of the region, pioneering Scottish farmer and grape grower David Herd, planted Marlborough’s first vineyard. It was to be another 100 years before that vision took root with the development of viticulture in Marlborough on a commercial scale.

The wine:  Small batch fermented from hand harvested fruit. 100% Pinot Noir.

Profile:  The wine is gently lifted on the nose displaying red/black cherry, game and mixed spice characters. The palate is juicy and bright with smooth texture and soft tannins, making the finish silky and appealing.

Cooper’s Price $18.99

Poggio Bonelli Chianti Classico

Education:  Chianti Classico is a DOCG in Tuscany, a region that has been making wine for over 3000 years. The expression “Classico” suggests this region is the origin of the primary Chianti grape, Sangiovese. DOCG = Denominazione di Origine Controllata Garantita. In 1980 the Italian wine board took quality control even one step beyond the regular DOC, creating DOCG. The G means the wine was submitted to governmental controlled tasting panel and they absolutely guarantee the stylistic authenticity of a wine. DOCG wines make up only 1-3% of all Italian wine produced. The wines must be at least 80% Sangiovese, the remaining 20% being other grapes, including native, Canaiolo and Colorino, as well as other international varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

The wine:  198 acres of sustainably farmed vineyards of which, only 88, are Chianti Classico. This winery has been in existence since the middle ages.

Varietals: 90% Sangiovese 10% Merlot

Profile:  Genuine and characteristic expression of Sangiovese. Ruby red color, intense and dense. The nose is wild fruit, sour cherry, dried herbs and leather. Dry decisive flavor, balanced by the delicate sweetness of the French oak barrel.

Regular $22 Cooper’s Price $19.99

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Just a little math to filter some spam! *