Our Barmbrack Sour is inspired by the true Irish Soul Food – the Barmbrack. This is a loaf of bread with currants or raisins, offering a candied, warm, nutty taste. Boasting a smooth, foamy finish this cocktail is impressive but easy.
A few ways you can mix up this recipe:
- Switch out the citrus – try something sweeter like orange or more sour like lime
- Switch the type of nut – toasted pecans work great and offer a nuttier flavor
1.5 oz Redbreast Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey
1 tsp White Sugar
1 tsp Apricot Jam
.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
1 Egg White
1 pinch Cinnamon, Freshly Grated Nutmeg
1 pinch Chopped Toasted Walnuts
- Add whiskey, sugar, jam, lemon juice and bitters into a cocktail shaker and stir. Add the egg white and pinch of cinnamon.
- Dry shake without ice to combine ingredients.
- Add ice and shake vigorously
- Once well shaken up, fine strain into glass and garnish with toasted walnuts and a light dusting of freshly-grated nutmeg.
- If you have to use an alternate whiskey, at least but be sure to keep it Irish
- 1.5 oz is the size of a standard jigger – the larger side is 1 oz and the smaller side is .5 oz
- If egg whites aren’t your thing or you are vegan, try a certified organic gum paste. This contains gum arabic, a mixture of different complex sugars, i.e. carbohydrates, which when shaken, ensure that the mixture is more heavily emulsified and becomes delicately bonded, much like when an egg white is beaten. It also forms the coveted foam.
Original Recipe > https://www.tullamoredew.com/en-gb/cocktails/barmbrack-sour/